Students disciplined after chemical debacle

By Justin Smith

NIU officials announced four students will face judicial, not legal, sanctions for their involvement in an April 21 incident in which two University Police officers were slightly injured.

According to an April 25 Northern Star article, officers found the students playing with chemicals near Lot X, north of University Apartments. When the officers arrived at the scene, they spoke to the students, who soon left. When the officers checked the area where the students were playing, chemicals sprayed from a bottle, injuring the pair.

The injuries were less than a sunburn in severity and both officers were back on the job the next day. One officer was sprayed in the face while the other got some of the solution in her eyes, said NIU Police Chief Donald Grady.

Judicial sanctions for the four include disciplinary probation, payment of all medical fees and expenses and an additional fine of which Grady was not amount-specific but said it was sufficient for the situation. All four students also must serve 100 hours of community service each, to be performed with University Police.

A representative from NIU’s Judicial Affairs office was unavailable as of press time but further details of the university’s involvement likely won’t be released ­— all personal information the office deals with is held confidential.

“While each of the students expressed remorse and was entirely cooperative throughout the course of the investigation, it does not excuse what they did,” Grady said. “It is important that all concerned be aware that behavior which endangers our officers is completely unnacceptable and will absolutely not be tolerated.”