Student Association inaugurates executives for 2006/2007 school year Friday

By Christopher Norman

Administrators, faculty members, student senators and family members celebrated the inauguration of the 2006-07 Student Association executives Friday.

Adam Novotney, SA president-elect; Michael Johns, SA vice president-elect and Jarvis Purnell, SA treasurer-elect all took the oath of office.

The executives were elected March 29 and take office May 15.

Andrew Nelms, Student Trustee, was also present. Since Nelms is already the acting Student Trustee, he will take the oath of office at the June 15 Board of Trustees meeting. President John Peters swore the executives in.

Don Henderson, director of Student Legal Assistance, reminded the new executives of the power they hold and the accomplishments the SA has made since its inception. The SA is responsible for negotiating the $3.5 million dollar bus contract, the second largest public transportation system in the state of Illinois.

DuJuan Smith, SA president for 2005-2006, said he felt prior presidents were running out of office. He had a much more positive opinion of his term as president.

“It’s been fun, its been great, but now it’s your turn,â€? Smith said to the inaugurates.

Promod Vohra, dean of the College of Engineering and Engineering Technology, encouraged the executives with quotes from leaders like Vince Lombardi and Marcus Aurelius. He also spelled out the word “leadership,â€? with each letter representing a part of what makes a good leader.

President Peters told the executives the powers of the SA were earned by the generation before them. He said the quality of political leadership determines the future.

Nelms also made a quick speech before the executives took the oath.

Peters proceeded to “swear in, and not swear at,â€? the executives.

While both Purnell and Johns said they never thought they would have two of the highest positions in student government at this point in their college career, Novotney was sure of it.

“This is where I planned on being,â€? Novotney said.

He also introduced his cabinet members.

“I think next year’s executives are going to do great,â€? Smith said. “I feel comfortable being able to acknowledge my part is done and now it’s time for someone else to step in.â€?