A Sober Saturday

By Christopher Norman

Playing drinking games and eating pizza may sound like an average weekend for some students, but one thing was missing Saturday night — alcohol.

The Neptune Hall community advisers held “Sober Saturday” in the Holmes Student Center’s Diversions Lounge, a program intended to inform students about how much they possibly drink.

From 9 p.m. until midnight, about 25 students and CAs played drinking games like “flippy cup” and “presidents” and ate free food at what resembled a college party. And they did it all sober.

Mary Benoit, a sophomore finance major, was in charge of the program.

“It’s to raise people’s awareness to what they are doing when they go out,” Benoit said. “We’re setting up drinking games people play when they go out and keeping track of how much they drink.”

Facts about drinking were posted around the room, along with trays of orange and green non-alcoholic gelatin shots and about 20 pizzas for the students to enjoy. DJ Donkey Kong was in charge of the music.

The CAs had beer goggles for people to try on to experience the full effect of drunkenness. The goggles cause disorientation and make it hard to walk in a straight line. An obstacle course also was set up so people could see how they adjusted to feeling drunk.

One person joked that a residence hall hallway is more dangerous.

The first group of students to arrive said they came to Sober Saturday mainly to support Benoit. A couple of them said they did not drink very often, mostly because they were underage.

Katie Cozza, a sophomore pre-elementary education major, said she has never tried alcohol.

“I have never been interested in alcohol before,” Cozza said. “I think it’s ridiculous to do that to your liver.”

Cozza tried on the beer goggles and was encouraged by her friends to walk in a straight line to a pillar. She was unsuccessful.

“I’m gonna pass out,” Cozza said. “I don’t understand why you people do this to yourselves.”

Amanda Seago, a junior political science major, explained why she chooses to drink on occasion.

“It’s just a social thing,” Seago said. “I don’t do it to get drunk.”