So what does the Student Association do anyway?

By Christopher Norman

In charge of almost 300 organizations and a budget of $1.3 million, the Student Association is one of the most powerful organizations on campus.

Almost every Sunday the SA senate meets in the Clara Sperling Skyroom where it adds organizations, distributes funds and votes on amendments.

The SA is composed of six committees.

Finance Committee

For the first half of the academic year, organizations submit budgets to the SA treasurer. The Finance Committee reviews the budgets. Throughout the second semester the Finance Committee continues to review budgets as well as allocate student funds.

“We met two times each week last semester and once a week this semester, but each meeting lasts two to two-and-a-half hours,” said Robert Batey, senator from district three.

Mass Transit Committee

The Mass Transit Committee is involved with roadwork in DeKalb, the Huskie Bus Line and monitoring road conditions. The Bus Line is one of the most expensive services on campus due to rising gas prices.

The Mass Transit Committee is working on a survey to see how efficient the different bus routes are. They have also purchased additional buses and acquired a new vehicle for the Late Night Ride Service.

University Services Committee

The University Services Committee works with the student body to find out what issues affect the student body.

It’s working on a limited rollover plan so students would get some percentage of their unused meal plan money back at the end of the semester. It also has extended hours at the Campus Recreation Center from 11 p.m. to midnight.

The committee seeks to improve feedback with “SA Tuesdays” — a program designed to situate at least one SA member in the residence halls to inform students of the SA each week — and the upcoming Town Hall meeting.

Rules Committee

The Rules Committee is set up as an oversight committee for the senate. It is headed by Jose Perez, Speaker for the SA Senate. Every amendment that goes through the senate needs to be reviewed by the rules committee.

The committee is working on an amendment that would require senators to participate in five hours of community service work.

Greek Affairs Committee

The Greek Affairs Committee worked with the Greek community to develop the temporary Greek Row security system. It also deals with grievances and problems within the Greek community.

Public Affairs Committee

The Public Affairs Committee was created this semester in order to get the SA’s voice out. It is going to start distributing suggestion boxes around campus for students to voice their opinions.

“We believe the senate can be more involved in everyday life,” Batey said.