Students enjoy free massages at fair

By Molly Thurber

A myriad of exhibits filled the Duke Ellington Ballroom Wednesday with one common theme: the health of the mind and body.

The annual NIU Wellness Fair, which ran from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., was designed to bring the health community to the public.

Exhibits ranged from vegetarian diet information to massage therapy and from blood pressure tests to vitamin education. Booths pertained to the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender community as well as the DeKalb Area Women’s Center.

“We are here because we want to make people, women especially, aware about us and our programs,” said Anna-Marie Coveny, a member of the DeKalb Area Women’s Center board of directors and director of the art gallery. “We specialize in six to seven different areas of wellness: one in particular is our meditation garden which we will be hosting soon.”

The most popular exhibits at the fair were the exhibits featuring free 15-minute massages, with students from the Northern Prairie School of Massage and the Wells and Associates Wellness Center administering massages.

Exhibits featured services from doctor’s and business offices in order to get people interested in their profession.

“[The LASIK eye] exhibit has always been popular with people,” said Kristi Weydert, coordinator for the LASIK exhibit. “It has been getting more and more popular as more and more information about laser eye surgery is put out.”

NIU’s Student Health Advisory Council also was on hand to let people know about the liaison between the Health Services office and students. The council is available to help students with questions or concerns with the policies of Health Services.

“We help students with insurance, hours and waiting room times,” said Linda Jennings, consumer relations coordinator and SHAC adviser. “We also include positive comments students may make about the Health Services as well.”

Building Service employee Adam Klassen used his break from work to attend the fair.

“I got to learn about a healthier lifestyle and I got free stuff,” Klassen said.