UNIVERSITY COUNCIL [03.08.06]

By Desiree Smith

NIU President John Peters opened the meeting with an update on the provost search and praised the Women’s Studies program.

Peters also commented on Gov. Blagojevich’s budget proposal for higher education and again expressed his full support for the proposed increase in NIU’s base budget.

The president’s final announcement involved an update on the provost search. The search committee recently had its third meeting and has made a lot of progress, Peters said. He said NIU has received expressed interest from provosts and successful deans across the country.

The provost search is on schedule and the search committee will be able to present its recommendation to the Board of Trustees in May, Peters said.

Peters also acknowledged March as Women’s History Month and expressed his support for the Women’s Studies program. The topic is very important to NIU and the impact women have had on the university has been fundamental and profound, he said.

Reports

The BOT Academic Affairs, Student Affairs and Personnel Committee was presented by Joseph Stevens, associate professor of mathematical sciences. He said all sabbaticals were approved and will be forwarded to the BOT, as well as the new minor in cognitive studies from an interdisciplinary perspective.

The BOT Finance, Facilities and Operations Committee was presented by Paul Stoddard, associate professor of geology and environmental geosciences. He summarized the increases in student fees and room and board rates.

The room and board rate increases largely are due to the new state mandate of sprinkler systems in each residence hall room, Stoddard said. This state mandate is not state-funded.

The Academic Policy Committee, presented by Colin Booth, professor of geology and environmental geosciences, requested some minor changes to the student evaluation of instruction forms given out at the end of each semester. All motions were approved.