Peters stresses importance of leadership

By Christopher Norman

NIU President John Peters spoke to the Student Association Senate about the importance of leadership during the senate meeting Sunday night.

Peters said when he was deciding whether or not to come to NIU, he was surprised at the independence and authority NIU student government had.

Peters said he was shocked at a number of the SA’s major accomplishments, such as their handling of the $3.5 million bus contract.

He said it was interesting NIU did not have an academic senate like most universities, but rather the University Council made up of students, faculty and administrators. NIU even has an elected member to the Board of Trustees, Andrew Nelms.

“Whenever there is any issue related to the welfare of students, the first question is always asked of the student representation,” Peters said.

Peters discussed his experiences with student leadership in the 1960s. He said at that time it mainly involved the “sheep and shepherd” mentality where someone leads and the rest follow. Peters said that mentality offended him.

In 1963, Peters said he and his roommate wanted to set up a college radio station. They set up a plan and went to see what his school called the “dean of men.” Peters compared him to Dean Vernon Wormer from “Animal House.”

The dean told them all the things involved in setting up a radio station; from the money to setting it up with the Federal Communications Commission. They came to the conclusion they would never finish.

While they did not finish, Peters said they set the foundation for later classes to create a radio station.

Peters said leaders need to know how much time they have to do something, what they want to get done and what’s realistic.

“Be realistic,” Peters said. “Treat everybody on an equal footing.”

Peters was also able to comment on the lack of candidates for the upcoming SA executive elections.

“There’s traditionally not a lot of opposition for student government,” Peters said. “Most students are probably satisfied by the type of leadership they have.”

He also acknowledged the senate required a lot of time and the fact so few people are running did not surprise him.