SA executive election candidates announced

By Christopher Norman

The candidates are in for the spring 2006 Student Association and Campus Activities Board Executive Elections.

Adam Novotney, a senator from District 3, is running to replace current SA president DuJuan Smith while incumbent CAB President Dion Smith is running for his first elected term.

Both candidates are running unopposed.

In fact, every SA and CAB executive position, with the exception of SA vice president, are one-person races.

Candidates were required to attend a candidate meeting on Feb. 13 or 14.

SA Adviser Nolan Davis said that out of the 39 students who attended the meetings, only the nine current candidates turned in the required executive packet. No one was turned down for candidacy.

“This is the only time I can think the execs didn’t have any real competition,” Davis said.

Davis said one of the reasons some of the students who may have been interested in running for one of the positions but didn’t was time. Also, interested students may have recognized how demanding the positions can be.

He also said obligations, such as midterms, would prevent some from being able to do enough campaigning since recent elections have had higher than usual vote counts.

“[Being unopposed is] a little more relaxing this cycle,” Novotney said, “It’s still going to be just as intense.”

Both Novotney and Davis say they have not seen or taken part in pre-selecting the candidates so votes would not be split.

Other than the currently registered candidates, there still may be a chance for write-in candidates.

Write-in candidates are required to have attended one of the candidate meetings and collect 400 signatures from students.

Students interested in becoming a write-in candidate must register within two weeks of the election.

Nolan stressed if people vote for someone who is not registered, it doesn’t count. This means if students vote for their best friend or Mickey Mouse, the votes will be invalid.