Res. Halls see security changes

By Tara Snowden

Enhanced security on campus garnered mixed reactions from students.

However, Michael Stang, director of Student Housing and Dining, said this is a great opportunity to provide a service for students.

“Really it was to provide some additional support for students and to ensure that we were trying to make the buildings as safe as they could be,” Stang said.

Implementing changes

The first change made to security in the residence halls was the addition of student staff members, including additional people at the front desks and main entrances of each hall from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.

Grant Towers, however, continued to keep a strict policy last semester so additional help was only needed from the hours of 3 to 7 a.m.

“Really it didn’t change any of the procedures, it just changed the way we enforced those procedures and now there are specific students stationed at the doors,” Stang said.

Overall, students have reacted positively to the changes, Stang said.

“It’s interesting because I anticipated lots of frustration on the part of the students,” he said. “But most students I’ve talked to have said thank you.”

Students’ reactions

Some students said the new security is more inconvenient than helpful.

“It’s more of a hassle than anything else. I don’t think that it really makes it that much safer,” said Joe Radosta, a freshman mechanical engineering major. “It mostly gets people in trouble for going out and having a good time, which doesn’t really serve much purpose.”

Others don’t mind the changes, as rules have been strict in the past.

“I used to have to check in after 11 p.m., but last semester check-in was alleviated. It is back this semester, however, so it’s no big change for me,” said Jessi Berg, a junior pre-physical therapy major.

Getting used to the new security is something Stang thinks will come with time.

“My guess is that the upper class students are a little more wise in understanding why we register guests. They perceive the benefits as far outweighing the inconveniences,” Stang said. “I’m not sure that the freshmen perhaps have the necessary experience to see all of the problems that come about when we don’t register guests and whatnot.”

Students wishing to bring in guests must register them at the front desk where they must show a photo ID. The guest will then be issued a guest pass, which they must be able to present at all times.

Beside having additional staff members at the entrances of each of the residence halls, students also must show their NIU OneCard and hall entry card. This is not a new change for the semester.

“There’s never a 100 percent guarantee, but we certainly feel that most students would say it is more secure than it was three months ago,” Stang said.

Looking toward future changes

Talks for future security measures already are in the works.

“The next step that we are exploring is additional card access points beyond the main doors. That is an incredibly expensive proposition, but it’s really the direction that this needs to go,” Stang said.

However, finding the time and money to complete such a large project is one of the problems that arise, he said.

New Security Costs

Hiring new staff members at eight of the entrances costs around $50 per day.

$50 a day multiplied by the number of residence hall entrances equals about $400 per day.

Source: Michael Stang