Students hold peaceful protest over pipe ban

By Molly Thurber

Sounds of a didgeridoo traveled over the MLK commons Friday afternoon as a peaceful protest ensued.

Tom Pusateri, sophomore anthropology major, played the didgeridoo as he and his friends objected to the recent ban of glass pipes, bowls, chillems and hitters in DeKalb.

The ban started when enraged parents of DeKalb High School students caught their sons and daughters smoking marijuana out of a glass piece they allegedly bought at a local tobacco store. The protesters had a glass piece out of which they smoked whiskey-flavored tobacco.

“[This protest] is about civil liberties,” said Andrew Jordan, junior theatre studies major. “They are limiting our choices and deciding what people can and can’t do. By smoking tobacco, we are proving them wrong. You do not have to use a glass piece to only smoke pot out of.”

Protesters included Pusateri, Jordan and a few others who joined the cause. They had a sign inviting passersby to smoke out of a glass pipe purchased at Smoker’s World. They also had a petition to get the ban lifted.

“We’ve been doing pretty good,” said Pusateri. “People have come by to smoke whiskey-tobacco and [people] have been very supportive of our protest.”

The support of the protest was evident in that people who do not smoke marijuana signed the petition.

“I do not smoke [pot], but I think it’s nobody’s place to tell someone else how to run their life,” said Terese Bangert, junior general studies major.

The general opinion of the protesters and their supporters was that glass pipes are not necessarily intended just for marijuana use.

“It’s absolutely ridiculous not to sell glass pipes,” said Lucy Andich, senior sociology major. “There’s no law saying pipes are marketed for marijuana, so why now?”