Residence Halls VS Off-Campus Housing: Residence Halls

By Tara Snowden

It’s time for students to decide whether to live in the residence halls for another year or pack their things and head for off-campus housing.

For those wishing to return to the residence halls, sign-up starts Feb. 21 for same room sign-up and goes through March 8 for general sign-up.

Although some students have decided to live elsewhere, others believe living in the residence halls allows freedom and space without the inconveniences of apartment living.

“I chose the dorms over an apartment because I like the location. They are located near most classrooms and are only a short walk away,” said Matt Larsh, a freshman accountancy major. “If I lived in an apartment, I’d have to take the bus or get a ride to class.”

Besides the convenient locations of the residence halls on campus, students agree having a set amount of money aside for food is easier than having to cook. Larsh says he’s not one to cook his own food, so having meals already prepared for him makes it easier and less of a hassle.

“Meals are part of the plan,” he said. “There’s less work on my part.”

University Plaza, a private residential community for NIU students, is one place students may use as a way to stray away from the residence halls while still maintaining an apartment-like atmosphere.

“You get a little more privacy than you do in a traditional hall. Yet, there are still many opportunities to meet other people,” said Paige Everly, director of marketing and sales at UP. “Because we are a private institution, we tend to focus more on the amenities and the entertainment than do traditional residence halls.”

As with the residence halls, UP offers a meal plan with its room options and allows students to pick a dining plan that suites them.

One obvious hassle apartment residents have is writing rent checks.

“The only thing I’m not looking forward to is writing out that huge check every month,” said Vikki Krencius, a freshman finance major who will live in an apartment next year. “The one thing I did like about the dorms was that I only had to pay once a semester.”

The advantage of the residence halls is students pay at the beginning of the semester, rather than a set date each month.

“Since you only have to pay twice a year, living in the dorms is less of a hassle,” Larsh said.

Larsh also agreed that residence hall life is sometimes easier for underclassmen, providing a way to meet new people and socialize with floor members.

“People on the floors keep their doors open and most people are friendly,” he said.

Others said living in a residence hall-like environment allows for students to interact and become acquainted with their surroundings.

“In an apartment, people tend to become isolated: they eat dinner alone every night and some days never see other people except maybe their roommates,” Everly said. “Whereas in a residence hall, there is always someone around to have dinner with.

Neighbors and outside distractions are one thing keeping residents hesitant about moving to apartments.

“I’m just hoping that we get good neighbors that go to bed at a decent hour,” Krencius said. “In the dorms, the CA could tell them to shut up, but [in the apartment] you just have to live and deal with it.”