BOT approves paving of gravel lots near Grant

By Molly Thurber

Board of Trustees members approved new parking measures for lots W, X and 20 Thursday morning. Lots W and X are the gravel lots located by Grant Towers and Lot 20 is the faculty and commuter student lot by Chick Evans Field House, across from the Neptune West residence hall.

The board proposed to pave and expand lot W and all lots will have better lighting installed. The board recognized a problem with parking on campus and would like the parking problems students encounter fixed.

“I hate driving my car because it is so far away,” said Eric Douglas, a sophomore pre-elementary education major. “Not to mention the gravel makes my car dirty whenever it rains.”

The revised parking lots are expected to help with congestion that occurs for students.

“It is an exciting series of projects that will be a big plus for students,” said Eddie Williams, executive vice president and chief of operations. “Parking will be more convenient for both students who reside in the residence halls and for students who commute.”

Construction is scheduled to end May or June of 2006, and the project will be completed by the 2006 fall semester. There also is no expected rate increase for parking permits due to the reconstruction.

Board members also approved a proposal to increase the amount of students who study abroad. President John Peters wants to expel the myths about studying abroad such as expenses, falling behind and missing a whole semester.

The board also passed a proposal to buy the Barsema Alumni and Visitors Center. This means NIU will have the opportunity to use the building at its leisure.

Board members also wanted to wish students good luck on finals this week. They also extended a “Huskie cheer” for the football players in the MAC Championship game Thursday night.