Internships and co-op education offers rewards

By Sherelle Green

Students may know what career they want, while others struggle to find one that best suits them.

Career Services, located in the Campus Life Building, Suite 220, gives students an opportunity to complete career-related work through the Internship and Co-op program. Career Services helps students find the best major to fit their interests and offers many other services to help students obtain their dream career.

The program also offers student of the month and year awards to recognize students who have excelled in internship/co-op. Students must fill out an application and are selected for student of the month for February, March, June, July, August, September and October.

Henry Handler, a senior computer science and mathematics major, was the June student of the month. Handler worked as a business technology intern for Discover Financial Services in Riverwoods. Handler worked with a group at Discover that managed anyone who did specialty jobs for Discover without being official employees.

“The career service department is a really good resource to have on campus for students who are looking for internships,” Handler said.

Handler said his main goal was the database he created that took survey data and produced graphs for visual information. Handler said Career Services helped him fill out a good resumé and find different internships available to him.

“This program is really a nice chance for students to get recognized for what they do in an internship,” said Diane Hart, employer relations specialist for Career Services.

Students must send in a writing sample, a reference letter from NIU faculty and another letter from the internship employer. Winners receive an award plaque and gift certificate to the NIU bookstore for $100. They also must be prepared to be a student spokesperson for Career Services.

The student of the month award winners also are given a chance to compete for the student of the year awards. A gold, silver and bronze award is offered. Winners must attend an awards ceremony and give a speech while continuing to be a student spokesperson for Career Services.