DeKalb County ready for storms

By Collin Leicht

Hurricane Katrina, projected to affect the United States for years to come, has shown Americans natural disasters are not mere fiction. Should a disaster strike DeKalb, a number of emergency procedures are in place.

Early warning

Tornadoes are the most common disaster in Illinois. Last year, DeKalb County was threatened by tornadoes four times, two of which were spotted from campus.

“Thankfully they all missed,” said Gilbert Sebenste, NIU Staff Meteorologist. Sebenste said tornadoes can form with little warning. Because of this, a preliminary tornado watch is issued when conditions are favorable for tornado development. If a tornado is spotted, an official tornado warning is issued, in an average time of 21 minutes. The NOAA Weather All-Hazards Radio and the FCC Emergency Alert System broadcast the alert on local TV and radio.

StormReady

The National Weather Service sponsors StormReady, to “help community leaders and emergency managers strengthen local safety programs.” The program was created in 1999 in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Communities earn StormReady status only by conforming to certain emergency management standards. NIU was the first university in the nation to achieve the StormReady designation.

One of StormReady’s goals is to improve the flow of operations between the NWS broadcast and DeKalb’s outdoor warning sirens.

If these warnings are issued, the Guide Post, published by the Division of Student Affairs, recommends to avoid elevators and seek cover at the lowest level possible, away from all windows. The Guide Post also details residence hall shelters.

Campus emergency management

“We are very fortunate that the university takes the safety and security of its students very seriously,” said Donald Grady, University Police chief.

Grady said the university has “not scrimped anywhere” when it comes to developing multiple plans and contingencies for every eventuality.

Although details are classified so as not to compromise security, University Police is prepared to handle riots, tornadoes, chemical spills, active shooters, terrorist activity and many other scenarios. The department is prepared to work with outside agencies to direct medical assistance, cleanup efforts and temporary housing for anyone displaced by a disaster.

Grady said every police officer on campus is a certified Emergency Medical Technician and some officers at NIU are part of a critical response team certified in SWAT and HAZMAT training. He also said many officers have experienced “ground-zero situations” before coming to NIU, but the department still runs tabletop and sandlot exercises to ensure campus security in every eventuality.

“It’s as good as it gets anywhere, so that you can rest assured that our people have the right training,” Grady said.