Flu vaccines are available at University Health Services

By Samantha Rubin

It’s October and you know what that means – flu shots.

From November through April, with a peak from January to March, the flu season is around the corner, and last year’s lesson in flu preparation means there is plenty of vaccine to go around this season.

“Typically, we’ve always had an order in August and September. It’s a periodic shipment, but you never know when you will get it,” said Karen Grush, public health administrator for the DeKalb County Health Department, 2550 N. Annie Glidden Road.

They are still waiting, but the university’s Health Services has received a vaccine shipment, said Carol Sibley, coordinator of preventive medicine at Health Services.

They will offer flu vaccines to students only. The cost is $15, which can be paid with cash, check or charged to a Bursar’s account, Sibley said.

Only students who have already paid the general fee for health care are eligible to receive the shot. The schedule runs from Oct. 17 to 21, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. for those at high-risk for serious illnesses from influenza and after Oct. 24 for all students.

High-risk groups include persons over 65, those with long-term health issues such as heart, lung and kidney disease or diabetes, those who are pregnant, and those who are health care providers or care for a child less than 6 months of age.

Sibley recommended those at high-risk or those in contact with high-risk individuals should come as early as they can.

The DeKalb County Health Department also is distributing the vaccine for those at high-risk on Oct. 20 from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. Distribution also occurs on Oct. 27 and each Thursday until the season is over from 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Walk-ins are available as long as there is still an ample supply.

“State of Illinois employees on state health insurance can receive the vaccination at no charge,” Grush said.

This does not include students or graduate students who must pay the regular $25 fee at the DeKalb County Health Department or go to Health Services on campus.

Vaccinations, as with any medication, can cause side effects or mild problems. The flu shot may cause a fever, soreness, redness or swelling and aching where the shot was administered. These problems normally last one to two days after the shot is given.

“You cannot get the flu from this vaccination. The side effects are just your body’s immune response to receiving the vaccination,” Sibley said.

To avoid catching the flu this season, Sibley reminded students to frequently wash hands, cover sneezes and keep a distance from those who are already sick.