SA provides $12,000 for child center

By Collin Leicht

The Student Association Senate approved a bill Sunday evening to allocate $12,000 to the Campus Child Care Center.

The Senate vote was unanimous on the passage of the bill, which will assist the center in remaining at its current standard of operation.

Senator Robert Batey, a sophomore political science major from District Three, said the primary concern involves students who currently enroll their children at the center. He speculated student parents “would be less likely to go to class” if the center falls below its current level of service.

In 2001, the Campus Child Care Center was the recipient of a four-year grant from the U.S. Department of Education, providing about $80,000 each year.

The grant originally was applied toward resolving an annual operating loss of $30,000. The grant is due to expire this year.

In the discussion before the vote, Senator Missy Lugo, a senior English major from District Two, said the challenges of student parents are difficult to overcome.

“Nothing should stop these people from continuing on,” Lugo said.

The Senate passed additional bills allocating funds to the “Get Out of Debt” Office and the Student Legal Assistance Office.

The Senate also officially recognized the Communicative Student Association, a group created for speech-language pathology, deafness rehabilitation and audiology students. Three other student organizations recognized by the SA will be open to all students, including the Percussion Club, New Hope College Ministries and the Italian Club.