More renovations might be coming

By Christopher Norman

The University Council discussed responsibilities of the Academic Planning Council, proposed making NIU a more bike-friendly campus and discussed renovations to the track behind Huskie Stadium at its meeting Wednesday.

NIU President John Peters began the meeting with a postscript to the State of the University Address he delivered Oct. 6. Peters praised the university for what it has accomplished the last five years, despite budget constraints. He encouraged the staff to take what he said at the end of his speech as guideposts and to make NIU a “sustainable, engaged, global, responsive and accountable university.”

Peters then spoke about the Barsema Alumni and Visitors Center, which will open Saturday. He said when he first came to the university, he noticed there was no obvious “gateway building.” The center is not only intended for visiting alumni, but also will be a central point for students and faculty to meet. The Center also will be the starting point for future orientation tours.

“The building is extremely functional,” Peters said.

The council also discussed changing the responsibilities of the Academic Planning Council. The proposed change would mean curriculums would now be decided by colleges and departments rather than by curriculum committees, the Undergraduate Coordinating Council and the Graduate Council.

The council also passed a motion to change the title of the position of vice provost to associate vice provost. The council first passed a motion to waive the first reading for the measure and the proposed changes were approved.

Patricia Henry, an associate professor of foreign language, brought up the issue of making NIU a more bike-friendly campus. She noted there seemed to be an increase in bike riders on campus and that the trend should be encouraged. With more riders, there is more of a possibility riders and pedestrians could be injured, she said. Possible solutions discussed were an investigation into how many bike riders are on campus and also the creation of bike lanes on existing sidewalks.

Eddie Williams, vice president of finance and facilities, was asked to speak about the future of the track behind Huskie Stadium. Williams said there is a near-term plan for a new track and there is plenty of room for one. It is a question of resources, he said.

Peters said a new track would cost about $3 million.

The council also discussed the possibility of a shuttle service to the future train stop in Elburn and potential energy problems the university may face this coming winter.

Peters announced a committee will be formed to find a replacement for Ivan Legg, executive vice president and provost. The provost search committee will be headed by executive secretary Paul Stoddard. Peters said the university will utilize an executive search pool and the process will take about a year. Legg’s retirement will be effective July 1, 2006.