Organizations: We want you

By Collin Leicht

The Student Association will hold its annual SA Organizational Expo Friday.

Over 200 recognized student organizations comprise the SA, from religious groups to political organizations, gaming clubs, martial-arts groups and more.

According to Shareace Leafblad, director of public affairs for the SA, attendance is mandatory for all organizations in order to make sure new students have an opportunity to see what the different organizations can bring.

“Mainly freshmen that don’t have any idea as far as what student organizations there are, or some that they might be interested in joining,” Leafblad said.

The expo will take place from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. in Central Park. In case of rain, the event will move to the Chick Evans Field House.

The SA has announced this year’s expo will include food, prizes, raffles and more. Among these various “extras” are a competition for the best pizza in the area, the best wings in the area, and a pie-eating contest.

The SA expects more than 1,000 students to attend the expo, in the hopes that students come to learn more about the SA and its many organizations as well as get involved on campus.

“I’m actually open to finding something new; my high school didn’t offer much outside of basic sports and FFA [Future Farmers of America], so I’m looking forward to finding something to be part of,” said Anna Berger, a freshman Spanish translation and business major.

Many transfer students are also new to the campus this year and are looking for a way to get involved in groups at NIU.

“I think it’s a good idea,” said junior English major Chris Elsner. “I think it’s something that has to be had. Whether or not students will actually participate in it or appreciate it is a different story.”

Students are encouraged to visit the SA Web site at www.sa.niu.edu, where a listing of all recognized organizations is available for students to view prior to the expo.

For more information on the expo, visit the SA office in the Campus Life Building, Room 180 or call 753-9924.