Letting go not easy

By Tara Snowden

Stella Fuentes, a freshman pre-communication studies major, is like any new college student trying to meet new people and explore new ideas.

However, Fuentes is finding getting out on her own is easier said than done.

Part of the obstacle are “helicopter parents,” parents who continually hover over their children when they are out on their own. The persistent habit of calling and worrying from parents has many students frustrated and annoyed.

“My mom keeps on asking me what I ate for dinner. Once is okay, but when you are asked that question three times each day, it does get annoying,” Fuentes said. “And she tells me the same things over and over, like the lectures moms give their children before they go to college. Except in this case, she lectures me during college.”

Numerous phone calls and worried messages have Fuentes wondering when she will be able to be independent.

“If I’m lucky [she calls me] like eight times a day, but I think it decreased to about five, not including the dorm calls,” Fuentes said.

Fuentes isn’t alone in her quest to find a sense of freedom. Nikki Walters, a higher education and student affairs masters student, says many are faced with this issue as new freshmen.

“I have actually seen a number of these instances since beginning my work with the college-age student,” Walters said.

Although students tend to blame parents for being too attached, Walters said some students are just as dependent on their parents.

“I don’t think it’s a matter of parents calling all the time, it is also students running home every time something goes wrong with the expectations of mom and dad fixing it,” Walters said. “Students need to take an active approach in their development and stop expecting parents to fix all of their problems.”

Rick Long, a psychologist for counseling services, suggests a weekly check-in call to catch up. He adds that sometimes “helicopter parents” still have faith in their children’s decision making skills.

“The hovering perception is not always meant the way students take it,” Long said. “Parents don’t want them to think that the student can’t handle things, there is sometime that miscommunication.”

Part of the responsibility of a student is being able to cope with problems and take initiative to solve them on their own.

“College is a stepping stone into the ‘real world’ where valuable information is gained on how to successfully live independently,” Walters said. “After college, parents aren’t going to help their children get jobs or mortgages for a house, so I think now is a key time to wean off the parents’ help and learn these ‘real world’ skills.”

With the growth of cell phone, e-mail and instant messenger use, parents can reach students from virtually anywhere, though the frequency of the check-ins may not be as much of a problem as the things discussed.

“Keeping in touch with a student or parent for updates and chit-chat is not the issue,” Walters said. “Students and parents could talk every day as long as parents encourage their students to solve problems, use resources and take some matters into their own hands.”

Fuentes, however, feels comfortable in knowing her mom still thinks about her.

“I don’t hate it because I know a lot of students whose parents are pretty much negligent of calling them,” Fuentes said. “The thought annoys me when my mom does keep calling me, but it just means she cares that much.”