Wild acts soothe bistro regulars

By Matt Lee

For more than a year, Brenden Kisiel has owned and managed the Wild Rose Bistro, 850 D Pappas Drive.

His vision of the ultimate dining and entertainment experience has gradually expanded. On top of a changing food and drink menu, the Wild Rose Bistro presents a wide variety of live musical acts on a weekly basis. From bluegrass and jazz to alternative rock and swing, the Bistro caters to all ages and usually has a packed house for shows.

Kisiel’s devotion to his restaurant shows a willingness to succeed.

“I’m the head chef and I’m here from opening until closing everyday,” Kisiel said.

Anyone can walk in off the street, but college students are especially encouraged to stop in the restaurant and make themselves at home.

“People come here for the great food, the menu variety, the atmosphere, and the employees,” Kisiel said. “We also have high speed internet so students can get internet access while they are here.”

The Bistro has 35 employees; all are college students.

“I eat here almost every day,” said Paula Colletti, a full-time employee of the Bistro. “My boyfriend and a lot of my friends also eat here quite a bit,” she adds.

Stephanie Rullan, a sociology graduate student and employee adds that the Cajun wrap and the ultimate grilled cheese are among the most popular items on the menu.

Along with the variety Kisiel has included on the menu, he also heavily promotes the musical acts that play The Wild Rose Bistro. This month’s upcoming acts include Texas Red Sullivan, a popular blues singer who clings to his piano.

“Texas Red has been a great hit for the restaurant and has a constantly growing fan base,” Kisiel said.

Another popular act is the rock band Cascade. Lead singer Ryan Dangel has become a regular on the Bistro’s entertainment rotation.

“Cascade can be compared to Howie Day or Dave Matthews,” Kisiel said.

One perk of the Bistro is there is never a cover charge for the live entertainment.

“I don’t believe in cover charges,” Kisiel said. “And there will never be a cover charge.”

Cascade, Texas Red Sullivan and a variety of other musical acts can be found playing at The Wild Rose Bistro through September. The restaurant is open seven days a week and has a comfortable atmosphere where students and non-students alike can converse.