GET YOUR Chicago-style HOT DOGS

By Tara Snowden

Students craving a Chicago-style hot dog no longer have to visit a restaurant, thanks to Varsity Subs.

The new restaurant, located on West Lincoln Highway, sells subs and Chicago-style hot dogs. It also owns a hot dog stand that has traveled around campus.

“My husband is the baker, and we decided to come to DeKalb for the college kids,” said Rosemary Brognia, co-owner of the restaurant. “We thought they would give us some good business.”

Other owners include Fred Brognia, Bob Corbett and Mark Antanellie.

“We decided to do the hot dogs because the Chicago-style Vienna Beef ones are really popular around here,” Brognia said. “Some can’t get into the store, so we brought it to them.”

The stand started on the corner of Lucinda Drive and Normal Road, but was forced to move based on the amount of food-traffic going through the area.

“We were killing the grass, so I had to move,” stand worker Joshua Potts said.

It is now located outside the Martin Luther King Commons across from Swen Parson Hall.

“I’m actually getting a lot of business out here from the different offices across the street, but I miss my old corner,” Potts said. “I was really getting to know the customers and knew what they wanted when they came.”

Potts sells an average of 35 hot dogs per day during a three to four hour time period, but sales depend on the weather and day of the week.

Varsity Subs owners hope to keep the hot dog stands open throughout the entire school year, but admit Illinois weather may not permit them to do so.

“As long as I’m not in 10 feet of snow, I’m content with being out here,” said Potts.

Although many kinks are still being worked out as to what exactly will be sold at the stands, Potts said he hopes to sell more and offer deals to students in the future.

Some students expressed interest in eating at Varsity Subs in the future.

“I’m excited to check it out. I’m a huge fan of subs and it looks like a good place to go,” said Becky Wittenborn, a freshman undecided major.