Preaching ‘the word’ on campus

By Desiree Smith

Sporting a red NIU T-shirt and khaki shorts, the Rev. Tom May of Campus Ministries International, spent Tuesday afternoon in the center of the King Memorial Commons, praising God vocally.

May held a Bible in his right hand and preached beneath the hot sun. Some students stopped to listen while others rushed by and paid no attention. NIU alumnus Aaron Puckett, also a part of CMI, spent the early part of Tuesday playing keyboard and singing in the MLK Commons.

“It is not our message to share condemnation,” May said. “We share word of light. The gospel means Jesus. Some like to stand out here and preach fire and brimstone but we want people to know Jesus loves them.”

The general response was positive, Puckett said. A woman came up to Puckett and said she loved the song he was singing. A man walked by and said he was blessed by what God says. He came over and read a verse from Psalms, Puckett said.

“This isn’t about religion, it’s about a real God,” May said. “We want students to know that God loves you and there is nothing you can do about it.”

A few students stood scattered around the MLK Commons’ circle, watching May and listening.

“I’ve been on campus a couple of years; he’s been here before,” said senior criminology major Craig Diefenderfer. “I stop and listen. He seems to reach some students. I’ve also seen some come up to him and argue what he’s saying.”

Senior English major Rob Graff sat near the MLK Commons’ Balance of Equality sculpture and listened to May speak.

“I’ve been out here about a half hour,” Graff said. “I’m not religious; it’s not really my thing. I respect religion and people who are religious, but I’m also a huge proprietor to letting people find their own way.”

May’s preachings are more reserved than others who have been in the MLK Commons, Graff said.

“If he talks constantly, no one can ask him questions. I think that’s one important thing he’s leaving out,” Graff said.