Greek Carnival offers food, entertainment for students

By Evan Thorne

Students were invited to take a bus from the Douglas, Lincoln and Grant residence halls to the Campus Cinemas parking lot Wednesday evening for games, food and music, courtesy of NIU’s Greek organizations.

While the parking lot was crowded and the games were in full swing, it seemed the majority of those in attendance were already members of a fraternity or sorority. While Greek members found the event to be a success, students had mixed reactions.

“It’s pretty cool, everybody’s really friendly,” said junior biology major Dave Mietzold. “It’s good to make friends now so you have friends in at least one area later on.”

Freshman special education major Ken Smitley also found the event very helpful. He liked the opportunity to meet the fraternities before rush week so he would have some information going in.

Not all students found the event so worthwhile, however. Complaints ranged from a lack of chairs to the inconvenience of closing the dining halls. Some students found the event quite different from what had been promised.

“I feel deceived,” said freshman finance major Paul Lee. “They promised us free food, but they’re charging for it.”

Students were charged for food and beverages and could use Huskie Bucks, cash or Dining Dollars.

Others were turned off by the atmosphere. Because the majority of students in attendance were already members of Greek chapters, some students felt excluded.

“I’m not too happy about being forced out here,” said freshman electrical engineering major Matt Reiner. “They shouldn’t have closed the dining halls. It would have been nice [to have that option].”

Live entertainment was provided by alternative-rock band Alternate End, which drew cover songs from Dave Matthews Band, Modest Mouse and Weezer, among others.

Following the carnival, students were invited to Chaos at the Rec for a live deejay and a performance by the band The Fabulous Janes at the Campus Recreation Center.