Popular course makes changes

By Tarciano Figueiredo

“You’re Fired.”

The famous Donald Trump sentence will be heard again by NIU students participating in the NIU marketing apprentice class.

In the fall the marketing department will bring back a mini apprentice course, but with some important changes, said marketing adviser Christine Stakal.

The course is now a three-credit-hour marketing elective and is open to all College Of Business majors, Stakal said. This is different from the previous class that only marketing majors were allowed.

“Apply for this exciting, fun course that gives you real business exposure and a chance to win a $1000 scholarship.” Stakal said.

Students on the second place team will receive a $500 scholarship each.

The class caused such a repercussion that Trump has mentioned his approval about the class.

“I want to hand it to Northern Illinois University’s College of Business,” Trump said in a 90-second spot that aired locally Sept. 20 on KISS FM 103.5. “They are just a little bit ahead of the pack. If I were 20 years old again, I’d be in that class.”

The Monday night board meetings in Barsema Hall on NIU’s DeKalb campus are open to the public via video conferencing in Barsema 140 and on the local NIU television channel.

Videos of the weekly team interactions will be produced by NIU senior film students and shown at the board meetings.

Current sponsors for the class are Myron Siegel, Lower Electric, Illinois Paper Company and Northwest Partners, Ltd.

The class will run from August 23 until October 4.

Each Monday from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. in the board meeting, one student from the losing team will be fired by the CEO, Stakal said.