Counselors help establish career paths

By Tarciano Figueiredo

For senior marketing major Jonathan Hemm, being a freshman was a little frustrating.

Hemm was not sure which major to pick. His father told him to choose finance, but he did not like numbers, he said.

Hemm went to NIU Career Services and asked the office for help.

Low self-esteem, self-doubt, lack of motivation and personal problems are some of the obstacles freshmen face.

Moreover, searching for a career can be difficult in the first year of college, since freshmen are faced with so many changes.

Career Services offers several tests and courses to help students find careers to fit their personalities and life goals.

Professional counselors assist students and alumni with all aspects of a job search.

Counselors can help students establish a career plan, prepare a resume, identify potential employers and a variety of other career-related concerns.

Mock interviews can be scheduled to help in students’ preparation.

Career Services helps students clarify their concerns and identify their interests, work values, academic strengths and weaknesses, work-related skills and personal goals.

The office also helps students determine the best course of action to help them achieve their goals.

Career Services introduces students to useful resources related to their concerns and gives them information about other NIU resources that might be helpful.

For more information or to schedule an appointment, call the office at 815-753-1641.