Conference helps develop leadership

By Shureice Kornegay

Several NIU administrators and student organizations participated in a workshop Monday afternoon designed to help encourage and guide leadership development within the multiple communities represented at the conference.

The workshop, titled “Could It Be It’s All A Dream?: Imagining Black Leadership,” was held in the Holmes Student Center. The overall theme of the conference was, “I See Myself in You: What it Means to be Young, Gifted and Black.”

Students from a wide array of organizations, including the NAACP, Campus Activities Board, Black Student Union and Student Association were participants in the workshop.

Senior psychology major Alexis Westbrook enjoyed the message behind the event.

“I learned that some of the events that we as minority students experience are experienced by African-American staff as well,” said Westbrook. “They also are more than willing to support us if we are ever in need of assistance.”

Dr. Brian Hemphill, vice president of Student Affairs and James Brunson, assistant director of Student Housing and Dining Services, facilitated the event. Hemphill and Brunson also gave advice for resolving community issues.

“There’s a difference between theory and practice,” said Hemphill. “You have to demonstrate what you say outside of these meetings, as well as during them.”

The goals of the workshop were to help recognize and proactively respond to issues that impact personal growth and to develop strategies for implementation that may assist in understanding diverse communities.

DuJuan Smith, a senior applied sociology and psychology double major and president of the SA, was pleased with the workshop.

“Today’s workshop was designed for a small, intimate setting in hopes of that small group spreading the message to the masses.”

The conference also is expected to draw a large turnout of participants.

“At least 600 to 700 people are expected to attend this year’s conference,” said philosophy major Rachel Powe, who also is the vice president of the conference. “I’m excited. We worked really hard on this conference.”

The conference will run through Friday. For more information, contact DuJuan Smith at 753-7118.