Exhibit shows off best in shoes

By Tarciano Figueiredo

Students searched their soles for inspiration Friday night as Groundhogs, a new break-dancing organization, hosted “Sole Searching,” a shoe exhibition, in the Holmes Student Center’s Diversions Lounge.

This shoe exhibition is pretty rare, said junior communication studies major Nikko Belano. The hottest and freshest sneakers were there.

Shoes such as Nike Dunks, Air Jordans, Air Force Ones, Bapestas and Adidas were exhibited. Those who attended were able to sell, trade and buy shoes.

Students paid $4 to enter to see the shoes or $3 to register and present their shoes in the exhibit.

For freshman nursing major Cherish Lusung and her boyfriend, shoes are not just something to wear but also something to appreciate.

Lusung has paid as much as $450 per pair when purchasing gifts for her boyfriend. She said she spends so much on shoes because they are what her boyfriend appreciates most.

The shoe community is big and getting bigger, Belano said, but people just do not realize it.

The shoe culture has grown rapidly in countries such as Japan and Brazil and for the younger generation. Price is not a big deal for some people – color and design are what matters.

Matching colors with shirts, pants, purses and belts also is important.

“People really don’t understand the shoe culture,” Belano said.

Students can collect cards and other things, Belano said, but many others decide to collect shoes.

Lusung said her boyfriend does not walk on grass if it rains and walks around puddles.

The reward of wearing nice-looking, expensive shoes is being fashionable, Lusung said.