Step into the scene, the Greek Scene

By Laurel Marselle

Hosted by Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, the 29th annual Greek Scene, which includes a step show and after-party, will take place at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Convocation Center.

A step show is a performance of a combination of different beats, sounds and movements, said Antoinette Foreman, Sigma Gamma Rho social chair.

The show could also be considered a form of dance and theater because they are encouraged to perform with props, said Rosie Drumgoole, Sigma Gamma Rho vice president.

Step show routines derive from workers in Africa who passed time by making up beat sequences, Drumgoole said.

Chinwuba Okafor, a Phi Beta Sigma member and participant of last year’s winning fraternity team, described his experience as months of practicing ending in a 15-minute presentation, leaving him excited and sad at the end.

Nine organizations from the National Panhellenic Council are stepping in the contest, some of which have been practicing since last semester.

“It shows unity within their organization when all you hear is one beat or one hand clap,” Drumgoole said.

The show raises money for a number of different organizations, including DeKalb High School and the Center for Black Studies. Members of Sigma Gamma Rho also want to start a scholarship fund for high school students with the money raised, Foreman said. Members of the sorority hope to have at least 2,500 in attendance. An award of $500 is given to the best sorority and the best fraternity competing.

Call 752-6800 for information.