Altgeld shows versatility

By Shureice Kornegay

Altgeld Hall has proved to be more than a symbol of NIU’s history. Since reopening six months ago, the building has hosted many events including two weddings, the NIU Libraries “Two Million Volume Celebration,” an academic conference and the Sigma ball.

“Altgeld continues to prove itself to be a great community and university resource,” NIU President John Peters said.

Altgeld is home to several departments and galleries, such as the NIU Art Museum and the NIU Student Affairs offices.

NIU Provost Ivan Legg also enjoys working at Altgeld, but admits it took some getting used to.

“My office was relocated here last September and the anticipation was worse than the actual process,” Legg said. “I did not like the idea of moving anywhere at first, but now I do. It’s a spectacular building.”

Altgeld, the oldest NIU landmark, was where Founders Memorial Library and NIU got their start, Peters said.

“In 1895 Altgeld Hall was all there was of NIU,” Peters said.

Peters is pleased the renovation work has finally paid off.

“I feel great about it,” he said. “I have found that there is great pride in that building. I am thrilled that after 100 years we decided to renovate it.”

Some students agree. senior history major Gilbert Diaz, agree.

“It looks new, but yet has a lot of history behind it,” senior history major Gilbert Diaz said. “I used to work in the NIU Art Museum and one visitor who went to NIU long ago said Altgeld used to be the [residence halls], classrooms and the library. This was NIU way back when.”

Graduate student Shaun Garrett also enjoys his time at Altgeld.

“The renovations are very nice,” Garrett said. “They are very, very pleasing to the eye.”

In addition to the programs and the resources Altgeld provides the NIU community, the building will be used for some summer programming, Peters said.

Although Altgeld is home to many programs and offices, more people should visit, said Emily Gaddis, an art student who has worked in the NIU Art Gallery for three years.

“I love working here, but mostly art students come by,” Gaddis said. “I wish more people would come.”