Greek row stabbing discussed

By Justin Smith

Representatives from several Greek organizations met with several NIU administrators Monday night in a closed-door meeting to discuss a course of action related to Saturday morning’s Greek Row stabbing incident.

The purpose of the crammed meeting, which took place in the Holmes Student Center’s Capitol Room, was to provide an open discussion for students involved in the incident, vice president of student affairs Brian Hemphill said after the meeting.

The Northern Star was not allowed to sit in on the meeting but was able to ask questions of meeting participants after the meeting ended.

The meeting also served to clarify any facts about the incident and gave students an opportunity to voice their thoughts, opinions and concerns, Hemphill said.

Attendees also included Michael Coakley, assistant vice president for student life, and Donna Simon, assistant vice president for planning and resource management.

The biggest issues on student’s minds were the condition of the victim, the status of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and the moratorium placed on all Greek organizations, Hemphill said.

NIU suspended the SAE fraternity over the weekend and placed an indefinite moratorium on all Greek houses following the Saturday altercation in which one person was stabbed by an NIU student., who was charged with attempted first degree murder.

The incident

DeKalb police said Matthew W. Bergquist, of DeKalb, was trying to gain entry into a party at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house, 919 Greenbrier Road, when he became involved in an altercation with a 20-year-old man. Police said the two crossed the street, where Bergquist allegedly stabbed the man in the upper arm and back.

The altercation apparently was over Bergquist being denied entry to the party, Leverton said.

The victim, who was not an NIU student, was transferred to the UIC Medical Center in Chicago, where he still remains.

Where the investigation stands

A time frame for when the moratorium will be lifted, as well as when SAE will be reinstated, is unclear at this time.

A working group is being formed that will review policies and procedures and make recommendations related to how social events will be governed.

It also is too early to tell whether there will be any changes made in the way things are governed, Hemphill said.

“The Greek community has experienced a very tragic incident,” Hemphill said. “I’m confident that our students will let this incident be a catalyst toward positive movement to enhance the safety and security of social events.”

IFC looks to clarify situation

Members of the Interfraternity Council also were present at the meeting to address concerns and clarify facts.

“I think the situation has provided the community [an opportunity] to start asking questions about social policy, as well as to engage in serious dialogue about the fact that we are value-based organizations,” said IFC president Patrick Reichel.

Reichel also wanted to clarify the status of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon house and to encourage the Greek community to come together during a difficult time.

“The university has not found the SAE house responsible in relation to this incident,” Reichel said. “There is simply an investigation under way which is a catalyst for the suspension. It happened on Greek Row and is something that, as demonstrated at tonight’s meeting, is being dealt with by the Greek community as a whole.”

In a statement approved unanimously by all voting chapters of the IFC and released Monday night, the organization expressed its condolences to the family of the victim.

“We will be working closely with the university to resolve this issue and do what is best for the Greek community and its members as a whole. Our thoughts are with the victim and the family,” the IFC said in the statement.

Representatives from SAE also expressed their concern for resolving the situation in a timely manner.

“We are working with the university and national headquarters to resolve the situation,” said Eric Limburg, president of SAE affairs.

Staff Reporter Stephanie Szuda contributed to this article.