Grad student makes an offer we can’t refuse

By Mark Pietrowski

After looking through entry after entry of candidates, Sweeps has found what we believe to be NIU’s version of the “Godfather” – “Old School” style.

Graduate student Patrick Pyka, president of the highly unofficial co-ed fraternity Smelta Delta, demonstrated he has the leadership, honor and integrity it takes to be named NIU’s “Godfather.”

He also does pine tree pole-vaulting which, according to him, basically involves launching himself into trees for the fun of it. Plus, there’s the whole alliteration aspect of his name.

“I think it is a great honor being named NIU’s ‘Godfather,’” Pyka said. “People may recognize me more if I go out to the bars and to parties, which would be nice.”

Last week, Sweeps launched a search for NIU’s version of Mitch Martin, the hero of instant classic “Old School.” Pyka’s entry included an essay touting his hobbies and love of the band Journey, as well as several hilarious photographs of himself in action.

Pyka attributes respect, loyalty and being able to prove his leadership to why his friends view him as the “Godfather.”

Jason Snelten, a junior electrical engineering major and Pyka’s roommate, said Pyka is one of a kind.

“I don’t think there is anyone more fitting because when he parties, he is pretty hardcore in a physical comedy sense,” he said. “I don’t know who will take over as ‘Godfather’ when he leaves. He will always be the original.”

Pyka said in high school he was a quiet, shy kid with only a small group of friends and that his entire high school class would be surprised to see him being named NIU’s “Godfather.”

Despite all of his smoothness, even the “Godfather” can have an embarrassing moment. Pyka can easily recall an incident years ago involving a go-cart and a mini-van driven by his mom.

“I was riding my friend’s go-kart around my neighborhood and as I was turning a corner in the road, I went into shock,” he said. “My mom, in her giant van ,was leaving the neighborhood. I was doing about 25 mph, 30 feet away from her. I continued to stay on the gas since I had lost function of my body and crashed right into her front bumper after she came to a stop. I was inches away from being decapitated; but walked out of the accident with only a broken wrist, nine stitches in my inner lip and two black-and-blue eyes.”

As for the movie that inspired the contest, Pyka said he has seen “Old School” about six times.

“It is one of my favorite comedies” Pyka said. “My favorite part of the movie is when Frank ‘The Tank’ is doing the beer bongs, shooting everyone and yelling, ‘you know it.’ I think that Will Ferrell is absolutely hilarious in this scene, and ‘you know it’ has become one of Smelta Delta’s catch phrases.”

One day when Pyka is reminiscing, he can reflect fondly on being named NIU’s “Godfather.”

“Maybe in like five years from now, someone will pick up the Northern Star and gander at the article on me,” he said. “Maybe they will remember that I was ‘The Godfather’ and that would be nice.”

Pyka plans on using the $10 he earned by winning the contest to help buy a round of drinks for some friends to celebrate the victory.

As for suggestions for the next big Sweeps contest, Pyka wasn’t shy in his pitch.

“Well, I recently became single, so how about finding the female version of ‘The Godfather?’”