Comic books a draw for college students

By Rachel Gorr

What comes to your mind when you think about comic books? Coke-bottle glasses? Mint condition issues in Mylar baggies?

Many people automatically think of popular “Simpsons” character Comic Book Guy, but not all comic aficionados are 400 pounds and masters of folklore and mythology.

“I think the whole Comic Book Guy stereotype is funny,” freshman music major Michael Rios said. “It’s an over-the-top stereotype, but I have met some people who are crazy like that.”

Graham Cracker Comics, 901 Lucinda Ave., receives much business from NIU students, store manager Rick Berg said. He estimates about 60 percent of business comes from locals but said sales increase about 40 percent when school is in session.

Wednesdays at the store are “New Comic Days,” when the store puts out its new inventory. Some comic book junkies even wait outside the doors for the store to open.

“I came in to pick up some comics that came in this week,” said Lee Blank, a junior political science major. “I subscribe to several comics through this store.”

Freshman pre-law major Jordan Khan said he only recently renewed his interest in comics.

“I just restarted collecting comics,” he said. “I come here pretty often, like whenever I get the chance or have the money.”

Graham Cracker Comic has been at its DeKalb location for the past five and a half years. The store stocks hundreds of comics, action figures and magazines.

“The most popular comics are always ‘The X-Men,’” Berg said. “They’ve had more exposure for the most part with the movies and cartoon series. For some reason, they have been more popular than Batman and Spiderman. Everyone seems to love Wolverine.”

Comic books also can be big money with some issues selling for thousands of dollars. Berg said he dislikes people who perpetuate the Comic Book Guy stereotype of treating comics as untouchable. He especially dislikes people who seal up their “valuable” issues.

“Comics are meant to be read and enjoyed,” said Berg. “People should not buy comics just to make money. I own valuable comic books: I have “Journey into Mystery” No. 83 from August 1962 that is worth over $700. It would be worth more, but I read and touch it. It’s just paper to me.”