Tsunami benefit attended by 300

By Tarciano Figueiredo

The NIU Southeast Asia Club, in partnership with several other campus offices and student organizations, held a Tsunami Relief Benefit last night.

The Holmes Student Center, along with the Thai Pavilion and Cuisine of India, catered the event with authentic food from the affected areas. Cost was $15 per plate. Though an official number was not available by press time, around 300 people were expected to attend, said Mary Byker, coordinator of the event and the Southeast Asia Club external vice president.

“We have ties to all of the affected regions, and most of us have many friends there,” Byker said.

The event featured dances from India, Indonesia and Thailand, a silent auction of regional items, a museum display, tsunami information and documentary displays.

All proceeds and contributions from the benefit will be donated to Habitat for Humanity International, which is presently helping the tsunami survivors rebuild homes and communities, Schuneman said.

The tsunami reconstruction is long and there was so much destruction, said graduate student Sajo Jacob.

“I think people see so many funds going to reliefs, but there is so much going on there that I don’t think there is enough [funds],” Jacob said.