‘Black is Beautiful’ art show offers a glimpse into African art, displays different culture from students

By Shureice Kornegay

In honor of Black History Month the Center for Black Studies is offering a window into the world of African art.

The 28th Annual Black Student Art Show with the theme “Black is Beautiful” runs through the Glass Gallery at the Holmes Student Center Feb. 26.

The free show features 32 original sculptures, paintings and wall hangings created by NIU students and alumni.

Some artists were present to meet and greet gallery visitors on the show’s opening reception last night.

“This is a way for black students to express how they feel within,” said Bryson Lennon, a senior sociology major and the show’s student coordinator. “The art represents the spirit within the students. This is also a great way to expose black art.”

Lennon, also a featured artist, illustrated the inspiration behind one of his pieces, a porcelain sculpture of red, black and green books in chains. The colors are symbolic of the African culture.

“Chains can be lifted, but sometimes we choose to accept these chains,” Lennon said. “We still have slave mentalities. Slavery on the physical front has disappeared, but on the mental front it still exists.”

Quoting a racist stereotype, “If you ever want to hide something from a black person, put it in a book,” said senior communication majorJeron Elliot said the piece confronted racial rhetoric.

The show was a positive experience for Elliot.

“It’s something different,” Elliot said. “I have a longstanding interest in art, but black art really stands out because I can relate to it more.”

Lennon said it is too late to enter art for this year’s show, but talented artists with Afrocentric pieces from all ethnic backgrounds are encouraged to apply for next year’s show.

Prospective artists should contact Van Amos, program director at the Center for Black Studies, 753-1709.