Center throws block party

By Tarciano Figueiredo

Winter weathers is not keeping some NIU students from digging out their summer clothes for a block party at the Newman Center.

The event, promoted by Newman’s student ministry team, will be held from 7 to 11 p.m. Saturday in the basement of the center, and all NIU students and community members are encouraged to attend.

“We are trying to bring summer closer because it is cold,” said Mark Fijalkiewicz, a senior mathematics education major and a member of the student ministry team.

It is a time for students to get together and have fun and dress like it is summer in the middle of winter, Father Michael Black said.

However, if girls want to come in bikinis, they have to make sure that they are wearing something on the top of it, Black said.

“They can come for summer but they also need to be respectful,” Black said.

This is the first block party, but the second time the church has had a dance with a theme, Black said. The center has a dance every winter.

Students can expect a DJ, rock, pop and a lot of fun, Black said.

Though the party is over Valentine’s Day weekend, it will be fun for everyone, including those without a date, Fijalkiewicz said.

Students can come and find a fun, positive atmosphere, said John Boehlefeld, a junior music education major.

“I came last year and it was a lot of fun,” Boehlefeld said.

Students wishing to attend have the choice either to give a donation, which will be given to the local Salvation Army, or to donate a canned food item, Black said. Snacks will be provided.