NIU accounting program among top 10

By Tarciano Figueiredo

NIU’s accounting program has been ranked among the top 10 in the nation for the third consecutive year following the results of a survey published by the Public Accounting Report.

The program has been a fixture on the list since the survey debuted 23 years ago.

Brian Lanners, a junior accounting major, was interviewed by the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) in Washington, D.C.

The GAO studies how the federal government spends taxpayer dollars and advises Congress on ways to make government more effective and responsive.

“Being part of a top 10 university definitely makes a difference,” Lanners said.

The top three rated undergraduate programs include the University of Texas, the University of Illinois and Brigham Young University.

In 2004, the NIU undergraduate accounting program was ranked 10th and the graduate program was ranked 12th in the nation, according to the Public Accounting Report.

“It is a lot tougher for NIU to be ranked,” said Gregory Carnes, chair of the accountancy department, “because the universities are ranked by professors across the country and NIU does not have an accounting Ph.D. program.”

The report is based on one question: ‘What are the top five accounting programs you would recommend to someone considering the accounting profession?’

“It is a well-deserved ranking because the faculty has put hard work into the curriculum and into teaching the courses,” said David Sinason, associate professor of accountancy. “Most of the universities listed in the top 10 have more reputation for research. NIU’s reputation is based on teaching and in the classroom.”

“Accountancy professors know what they are talking about and what they teach is important,” Lanners said.

Because of NIU’s achievements, the accounting department has raised the requirements for students to get in.

Students now must have a GPA of 3.2 or better to be admitted to junior-level classes or have earned an A or B in accounting sophomore classes, which are Accountancy 206 and Accountancy 207.

Additionally, students can take an entrance exam and be approved by the accounting department, Carnes said.

Other accounting students are also receiving the benefits of being part of a top 10 program.

Josh Haldi, an accountancy graduate student and former NIU quarterback, is working toward a masters in accounting and eventually will take the CPA exam.

“To meet the program work load demand, students have to work hard,” Haldi said. “However, after graduation, there is a great compensation.”

Faculty are also pleased to be associated with a top-notch program.

“I am very privileged and honored that I have been part of this,” Sinason said. “It shows that when it comes to accounting education there is no better university than Northern Illinois.”