SA approves student groups

By Justin Smith

The Student Association approved several groups as organizations Sunday night in a crammed Holmes Student Center Heritage Room.

Groups including the Asian American Law Student Association, Sigma Alpha Iota, the NIU Women’s Lacrosse Club, Black Market and Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia received student organization status.

Bills to recognize Kappa Phi Lambda and the NIU Gymnastics Club as organizations were on the agenda. However, no members from the groups were present and their petitions were postponed to the next SA Senate meeting, which will be held Sunday, Feb. 13.

Normally, the SA Senate holds meetings every Sunday. However, next week’s meeting was canceled because of the Super Bowl.

The location of the Jan. 23 meeting was moved to the smaller Capital Room location from the HSC’s Clara Sperling Sky Room due to renovations, which still are not complete.

The group expects to be back in the Sky Room for its next meeting, Senate Speaker Andrew Nelms said.

Michelle Bringas, director of Student Involvement and Leadership Development, was scheduled to attend the meeting and speak as part of the Prairie Leaders Lecture Series.

Bringas, however, was unable to attend because of personal reasons and is scheduled to speak at the next SA Senate meeting.