Students flock to NIU for spring semester

By Laurel Marselle

About 1,155 new students were accepted to NIU for the spring semester, with a slight increase in transfer students and freshmen.

These increases could be the result of the early cutoff for fall 2004 semester registration, Office of Admissions Director Bob Burk said.

New NIU students should be aware of several aspects of the university.

Students should take note of the academic programs NIU offers, as well as former class credits transferring smoothly, Director of Orientation Denise Rode said.

Transfer students must also pay attention to their academic position in their major and their graduation requirements. It is also recommended they establish a relationship with an adviser, Rode said.

“Freshmen students who are coming in the spring semester have many of the same needs, but since many are undeclared in their majors, the academic factors are different than older transfers,” Rode said.

“I’m concerned about making friends and getting into classes,” said Joanne Knowles, a freshman undeclared major said.

Heather Richards, a freshman psychology major, missed the application deadline for fall 2004.

“Make sure you have all your stuff together and be aware of all the application deadlines,” she said.

Former transfer students said meeting people and finding living arrangements was hard at first.

“I didn’t really know anybody. I took some time off from school, and it was hard to find people that were my age,” said Ryan Knowles, senior physical education major. “It was also hard finding a place to stay. I got accepted about two days before class started and was running around trying to find an apartment.”

Other things to be aware of include details about campus parking, child care information, housing on and off campus and extracurricular involvement.

“Especially during the spring where there aren’t all the beginning of the year activities, it’s important for students to get involved in at least one outside of class activity,” Rode said.

Enrolling in University 101, geared toward incoming freshman, or UNIV 201 for students past freshman year gives students an opportunity to network, Rode said.