Online evals

By Justin Smith

NIU students who prefer working on their own schedule may benefit from taking online classes, a recent study concluded.

The report, which was based on surveys that were taken near the end of the fall 2003 semester and beginning of the spring 2004 semester, surveyed 149 students who have taken online courses. The study was conducted by the Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center, the office of assessment services and a representative of the provost’s office.

The study concluded that students were satisfied with the quality of online classes and technical support they receive when enrolled in the programs. The majority of students also reported that completion of their online courses helped them improve their technology skills.

Courses offered online range from biology to history to nursing. There are currently 15 courses offered online for spring 2005.

“The majority of students also told us they were satisfied in all aspects of their technology service support,” said Virginia Cassidy, associate vice provost for Academic Planning and Development.

One of the committee’s main goals was to study whether the money invested in technology services was meeting students’ needs, Cassidy said.

Cassidy attributed the online course’s success rate to the fact that students can tailor their schedule to work whenever they want. Students also have more flexibility when scheduling and can access course materials from different locations.

Off-campus students take online courses because they do not need to drive to campus to attend class, Cassidy said.

“The results of this study will hopefully let students who aren’t currently enrolled in online courses know that those who are report satisfaction,” Cassidy said.

Online courses aren’t for everyone, Cassidy said.

“They won’t have to attend class every day,” she said. “Students who enroll in these courses need to have a lot of discipline.”

Students interested in signing up for online classes should visit www.courselistings.niu.edu and change the location of the class to “online.”

More online classes will be added every semester as the programs become more popular, Cassidy said.