SA approves CAB constitution

By Gerold Shelton

The Student Association Senate approved a new version of Campus Activities Board’s constitution Sunday.

“For better or for worse, we are setting a precedent if [the SA] can totally rewrite the constitution of a student organization,” SA Sen. Andrew Becerra said.

The rewritten constitution creates a CAB Council consisting of 21 members.

Twelve student organizations will get one pick each. Andrew Nelms, SA Senate speaker, said he expects the SA Senate will vote sometime during the spring semester on which 12 organizations will be represented.

Four members will be the elected executive officers and the other five will be representatives elected by CAB coordinators.

Throughout the night, senators called upon Shaun Crisler, chair of the CAB/SA constitution commission, CAB President Matt Holder and CAB Concert Coordinator Bridget Brennan to answer questions regarding the new constitution.

“Even though I got 10 nasty e-mails, I got a lot more positive ones, and even though I talked with three disgruntled students, I talked with 10-15 people who offered positive comments,” Crisler said.

One senator asked Brennan what her problem was with Holder.

“CAB is run as a bottom-up organization,” Brennan said. “Now executives will have final say. We are being ripped apart from the inside, and we have been left in the dark for the whole process.”

Holder was asked about mending relationships within the organization if the bill were to pass.

“This constitution will allow me to get more involved in the organization,” Holder said. “Before I was more of a foot soldier. I will sit down and go through the constitution with them.”

Senators also asked Holder why the rewriting of the constitution was not handled internally, and why more people within CAB were not involved in the decision making process.

“Because it was so emotional, I wanted those who could actually see the big picture,” Holder said. “A lot of the people asked wanted to stay neutral or were not able to attend.”

Student Recreation Center hours extended

Marcus announced the Rec Center will expand its hours next semester. The new hours will be from 6 a.m. to midnight.

The money for the hours increase was secured for spring semester 2005 and the 2005-2006 school year by Brian Hemphill, vice president for Student Affairs.

After that time, the SA will have to find money somewhere in its budget to continue the expanded hours, Marcus said.

New vice president, chief of staff, transportation coordinator approved

SA Chief of Staff John Acardo was approved by the SA Senate to become the new SA vice president. Acardo replaces Janet Rodriguez who resigned last month.

Acardo’s move to vice president indirectly created two executive staff openings within the SA. Aaron Langguth was voted in as the new chief of staff, replacing Acardo, while J.R. Perez becomes the new transportation coordinator.

The next SA Senate meeting will be held at 6 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 23 in the Clara Sperling Sky Room of the Holmes Student Center.