Grade appeals rare, but valuable

By Justin Smith

NIU students wishing to appeal a semester grade must demonstrate that the grading done by the instructor was inconsistent.

This means either the student feels the grade was based on something other than his or her performance in the course, the instructor applied different standards to classmates or the instructor did not follow his or her syllabus, which is considered a written contract.

“Appealing grades is like a basic right that students have,” said Lois Self, chair of the department of communication.

The four steps in the appeals process are: going to the professor, the department chair, the grade review board and the college’s dean, who ultimately makes a final decision. The grade review board has four tenured faculty members and four undergraduate or graduate students from the department, depending on the level of the course.

Department representatives said students often inquire about the procedure, but rarely follow through.

“I have seen two official appeals in three years,” said Doris Macdonald, chair of the English department. About one out of 6,000 students in freshman composition each year appeals grade, Macdonald said.

Self said she rarely sees more than five appeals per semester.

“A lot of students just decide it’s not worth it,” Self said.

“If the syllabus is being followed, the appeal will most likely not go through,” Self said.

Overall, students must understand that a course grade is based on evidence of their mastery and performance in the class and may reflect that, Self said.

“It’s one thing to say I don’t like the grade,” Self said. “It’s another to say it’s unfair.”

Steps to appeal grades

1) Students must contact the professor or instructor they received the grade from and seek clarification of the grade.

2) If the student still feels the grade was unfair, he or she must contact the chair of the department in which the class was offered. The chair meets with both the student and professor.

3) The student may submit a written petition to the department’s Grade Review Board. The petition must be submitted to the department chair no later than the end of the fourth week of the semester following the semester of the grade in question.

The board conducts an investigation to determine whether the grade merits further consideration. The student’s work is re-examined or additional work may be assigned to demonstrate the student’s achievement in the course.

4) The board recommends a grade for the student which may be different than what it was originally. The board then notifies the dean of the course’s college. The dean may agree with the review board or instruct it to review the case again. The decision of the dean is final.