Athletics sets up booths for free football tickets

By Laurel Marselle

Tickets for the NIU vs. Toledo football game are available for pickup and sale until game time Tuesday night, scheduled for 6:35 p.m.

Close to 4,000 student tickets have been given out, Assistant Athletics Director Sheila Berg said.

“We won’t turn any student away – we’ll go over 6,000 if that means they would come out and watch,” she said.

To encourage student ticket pickup, stations have been set up in the residence halls and at the Student Recreation Center in addition to the stations in the Holmes Student Center and the Convocation Center, said Todd Garzarelli, director of marketing and promotions for athletics.

Today, tickets will be given out in Stevenson Towers and the Rec Center as well as the HSC and the arena, Garzarelli said.

The athletics department implemented more stations in an effort to make ticket pickup more convenient for students, he said.

“We started this as an experiment to get student feedback, and it seemed to work well,” Garzarelli said. “It’s easier for students if they don’t have to go all the way to the Convocation Center to pick up their tickets.”

NIU officials hope for a strong student turnout.

“This is a great game and a great recruiting tool for the university, so we hope everyone comes out,” Garzarelli said.

For more information, call the NIU ticket office at 753-4700.