African dance yields cash

By Laurel Marselle

Representatives from 10 student organizations put on their dancing shoes for the African Student Association’s fundraiser “Dance for Africa” Wednesday night.

Dance for Africa raised $1,200 to finish an orphanage house in Uganda for children whose parents have died of AIDS. The ASA started building the home three years ago.

The show began as the crowd started singing the South African national anthem.

Groups including Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Flawless and Animation performed dance routines to popular hip-hop songs.

Hip Hop ConnXion, a nationally known hip-hop group that has appeared in videos with rapper P. Diddy and on ABC’s Dance Fever, performed to a mix of dance songs, including “Jesus Walks,” “Senorita” and “Pass That Dutch.”

Other acts included a steps routine performed by Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, a duet of “I Need You To Survive” performed by two members of Elogeme Adolphi Christian Sorority and a jazz set performed by Mitchell Gaddis Jazz All Stars.

Members of Black Male Initiative provided a history lesson of the Abiyssia culture including greetings, manners and customs of the culture.

Vibe and African Student Association also added to their acts by dressing up in clothes resembling African tribal wear and dancing in tribal fashion.

Close to 300 people attended the show and the ASA was about $800 short of their goal of $2,000, said Zina Lawani, public relations officer for the African Student Association.

This fundraiser holds a special significance for most ASA members, Lawani said.

“Most of the students in ASA are African and this allows us to be able to help our people in Africa while we are living here in America,” Lawani said.