Assistant aide dies

By ANDREW HARDY

Pete Peltzer, former NIU assistant football aide, died last week after more than two and a half years in a coma.

Peltzer, 42, died Wednesday at the Meadowbrook Manor Nursing home in Topeka, Kan. Peltzer had suffered a major coronary on Jan. 1991, which left him in a coma ever since.

Peltzer was buried Saturday at the Mount Hope Cemetery in Independence, Kan.

“It’s such a tragedy. We’ve lost a great person who’s given so much to young people,” NIU athletic director Gerald O’Dell said. “It’s reflected in his coaching and teaching career. As I remember Pete, he was loved by his players. He was what they call ‘a player’s coach.’ He was tough on them, but the student-atheletes loved him.”

Peltzer will be remembered for putting the edge on the 1989 NIU offensive front that blocked for the nation’s No. 6 rushing attack. The Huskie Wishbone recorded 31 school records that season, including 4,502 yards total offense, 3,639 ground yards, 344 team points and 46 touchdowns.

Peltzer had always strived for excellence. As a starting forward for the Atchison High School basketball team in his native Kansas, he helped push his team to an 18-1, 3A State championship season in 1969.

He then served with the U.S. Marine Corps from 1970 to 1974. A Vietnam veteran, he received Vietnam Campaign and Service Medals as well as the National Defense Service Medal.

He then returned to school and received his bachelor of science degree in 1976 at Pittsburgh State University.

At that point, Peltzer started his coaching career in Kansas, starting with Pittsburgh Colgan High School in 1978 and going to Independence High School in 1979. From 1980 to 1984 he coached at Coffeyville Community College. In 1984, he received a masters degree in physical education from PSU.

Then, he moved to the university level at Sul Ross (Texas) State University from 1985 to 1986 and Fort Hays State University in 1987 before coming to NIU in 1988.

“Pete was a dedicated family man,” said Jerry Pettibone, former NIU head coach. “He loved the young men he worked with on our football team. He was such a positive role model. This is a tremendous loss to lose him now.”

Peltzer is survived by his wife, Brooke and two children, Matthew and Kelsey. Donations to the family may be sent to the “Peltzer Children’s Scholarship Fund” at Potts Chapel, P.O. Box 801, Independence, KS 67301.