Don’t chalk the ‘walk ‘til you talk

By Desiree Smith

Student organizations sometimes use chalk to reach students and inform the campus about upcoming events.

University Programming and Activities Office approval is required to post fliers on campus; those that are approved are allowed to chalk the sidewalks.

UP&A has guidelines organizations must follow to chalk. Copies of the rules are at the Campus Life Building, Suite 150.

Student organizations are only allowed to chalk on concrete sidewalks on campus. Washable, non-toxic chalk is the only type that may appear on NIU’s sidewalks.

Paints, markers, crayons and other permanent materials are not allowed. Chalk should not appear on walls, buildings or brick.

Chalk announcements serve as reminders to current members, said senior biology major Anne Navaleza.

“The people that have known about it see there’s a meeting for that day,” Navaleza said. “Most of the time I read something and don’t go to it.”

Chalking stands out more than paper flyers, said Bertrand Simpson, associate director of UP&A.

“When you put up a flier, it’s among other fliers,” Simpson said. “Generally when people chalk, no one is chalking right next to them. It attracts singular attention as people walk by.”

Organizations may lose their privileges if these guidelines are not followed.

“Every semester, someone chalks where they’re not supposed to,” Simpson said. “We’re always trying to make sure this policy works for people because otherwise it makes the campus look unattractive.”