The Donald trumpets NIU

By Greg Feltes

Donald Trump has a message for NIU: You’re not fired.

The questionably-coiffed successful businessman and reality TV star used his nationally-syndicated daily radio show to shower praise on NIU for offering a course based on “The Apprentice.”

“I want to hand it to Northern Illinois University’s College of Business,” he said in a 90-second spot that aired locally at 6:45 a.m. Monday on KISS FM 103.5. “They are just a little bit ahead of the pack. If I were 20 years old again, I’d be in that class.”

The NIU marketing department offers the course that pits four teams of four students against each other in various business-related tasks. One such task had students designing a questionnaire that assessed perceptions of cheating. Another challenge had class participants raise money for care packages for soldiers in Iraq.

Marketing department chairwoman Denise Schoenbachler was stunned by the unsolicited expression of approval.

“We were so excited – actually, the right word is ‘shocked,’” Schoenbachler said. “To have that type of endorsement of the class and really NIU itself on a national forum is huge. It says that we are clearly a forward-looking and cutting-edge institution.”

Trump’s praise extended beyond the College of Business to NIU as a whole.

“Northern Illinois is really doing a terrific job, I hear it’s a hot school,” Trump said.

Schoenbachler said this type of recognition is exactly what the department had in mind when it decided to offer the course.

“One of the many goals of this project was to try and get some reaction and publicity for the university,” Schoenbachler. “I take a lot of pride in our ability at Northern to do something innovative and unique that is positive and newsworthy.”

NBC spokesman Jim Dowd said Trump was just returning a favor.

“He is obviously very appreciative that the college is using his show and he is complimenting you back by publicizing your institution,” Dowd said. “In essence, he is thanking you for having the course. He’s very loyal. When people are good to him, he’s good to them.”

Schoenbachler said the students deserve all of the credit for the success of the class.

“I am so proud of everyone that works so hard every week. The students are out-performing our expectations. It’s only a one-credit class, but they put so much time into it.”

Schoenbachler said the four teams combined raised more than $10,000 in the care-package task.

Dowd said the show has spawned similar classes at a dozen schools.

“It’s certainly paved the way to make business and business situations more popular,” Dowd said. “It shows how an entertainment show can actually influence the business world and also the collegiate environment. We knew it was a great idea from an educational perspective. [Trump] also wants to inspire other colleges to do the same. By making these comments, he is trying to plant that seed.”

Schoenbachler said she was hopeful that Trump’s on-air plug would reach potential students and further establish NIU’s national reputation.

Trump doubted the class would have any trouble replicating at least one aspect of his show.

“Three alumni of the university’s business school play me, which shouldn’t really be that hard for them,” he said. “I am not that complex.”