SA and CAB executive candidates announced

By Nicholas Alajakis

Candidates for the Student Association and Campus Activities Board’s executive elections have been finalized without any members of the SA’s current executive board seeking re-election.

As in years past, there are two main “parties” running for SA positions.

The “parties” are groups of people who are running on a ticket together, Election Commissioner Erik Swastek said.

No members of this year’s executive board appear on either ticket. Swastek said he has heard discussion about write-in candidates but is unsure about what people plan as far as write-in candidacy goes.

SA election policy requires that anyone running as a write-in candidate must file at least two weeks prior to the March 30 elections.

Policy goes on to state, “Write-in candidates shall register one version of their name, which must obey the same rules listed for candidates whose names appear on the ballot. Only this registered name shall be accepted as a vote for the candidate.”

Write-in candidates are required to follow the same campaign rules as ballot candidates, Swastek said.

This year also is the first year that CAB elections will be open to student vote. In the past, CAB elections were handled internally.

Elections will be held from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. March 30 and 31 at DuSable Hall, Founders Memorial Library and the Holmes Student Center.