USOAR grants fund research

By Laurel Marselle

Thirty-three NIU undergraduates won grants to conduct independent research in the United States and abroad.

The Undergraduate Special Opportunities in Artistry and Research grant program is funded through NIU’s contract with Pepsi. USOAR allows students to apply for funding for research and artistry projects, often involving trips to other states or overseas.

“This is a great opportunity for students to participate in scholarly activities with a faculty member,” said Vice Provost Earl Seaver, coordinator of USOAR.

NIU President John Peters will recognize USOAR recipients during a March 31 awards ceremony and luncheon.

“We’re allocated $50,000 out of the Pepsi money to give undergraduate students an opportunity for research enhancement,” Seaver said.

Once students choose faculty members to mentor their project, they submit 10 copies of the application with the professor’s signature to their college office.

“Students have to develop a project and a budget which might include travel expenses and equipment, which has to be justified,” Seaver said.

Grants of up to $2,500 are awarded after projects are reviewed and ranked by the college, and approved by the vice provost’s committee.

Past projects have shown academic and geographic variety.

Karen Belcher, who graduated last May with a bachelor’s degree in fine arts, lived on a sheep farm in Virginia for 10 days while she learned about natural dye processes.

“Living there on the farm I got to see a shearing done and how it all gets prepared for spinning,” she said. “I also visited the DeWitt Wallace museum and colonial Williamsburg where there was an exhibition on quilts.”

Belcher said working on her project was an amazing experience.

“It was exhausting but exhilarating,” she said. “There was a lot of intensive learning, but there is a huge amount of material that I know now.”

Kristine Shuey, a senior art history major, traveled to England to study medieval manuscripts.

“I went to East Anglia and Lincolnshire to visit churches and museums of medieval life, and I got to see five actual manuscripts,” she said.

Former winners found the opportunity an effective way to enhance their studies.

“I encourage every undergrad to apply for this grant,” said John Regan, a fine arts graduate student.

Results will be announced Feb. 13.