Magazine may face cuts

By Nicholas Alajakis

A day before the second issue of the Student Association’s Huskie Highlights magazine was set to be distributed, the SA’s finance committee voted in favor of a recommendation that would cut requested funding to the magazine.

An original proposal to the committee asked for $34,125 for seven issues. After much discussion, the committee agreed to recommend that the SA Senate allocate $30,925 for six issues.

Senator Donna Dalton said she did not feel comfortable putting more money toward the magazine when some of the clubs the magazine is intended to highlight are having funding cut.

“What do we tell these clubs?” Dalton asked.

Dalton said she thought the magazine should be zero funded, adding that she did not think it was the SA’s job to put out a magazine highlighting organizations when there is a campus newspaper that can do that.

Zero funding was not a possibility to other members of the finance committee.

“We have passed the point of no return,” committee member Andrew Nelms said. “I will not call it a waste of money if it helps students.”

SA President Shaun Crisler asked members of the committee to give the magazine time and not judge it after its first issue, which came out in December.

The committee agreed that the provision that requires the magazine to be evaluated on a semester basis is a good idea, to make sure it is staying on course.

The possibility of the magazine undertaking some of its costs by bringing in advertising dollars also was brought up.

The finalization of Huskie Highlights’ budget will be discussed at Sunday’s senate meeting.

The finance committee also recommended that the senate use $1,355 of the SA administrative budget for office improvements in the Student Organization office, Campus Life Building, Suite 190.

The money includes Windows software for new computers and labor costs of hanging new corkboards. The proposal initially called for an additional $372 for various office supplies like scissors and staplers, but members of the committee thought those items were unnecessary.

Among other recommendations the committee made was a proposal to zero fund NIU’s Habitat For Humanity because the organization has Christian undertones, something the SA does not allow.