Group strives to break barriers

By Mike Neumann

NIU is increasing its awareness of disabilities through the Enhancing Success for Students with Disabilities in Higher Education project.

The group has proposed five primary recommendations, said Susan Vogel, a project director and research professor of literacy education.

The main recommendation is for professors to consider adding a paragraph in their syllabi that encourages students with disabilities to speak with faculty early in the semester about appropriate accommodations.

Other recommendations include increasing knowledge about disabilities for faculty members, offering on-site seminars and workshops for them, providing one-on-one consultation with professionals knowledgeable about disabilities and reviewing the policies and procedures pertaining to students with disabilities.

Vogel drew up the recommendations with the help of focus groups composed of students with disabilities.

“We recently invited students with disabilities to meet in focus groups to evaluate our Web site and provide suggestions,” Vogel said.

They provided her with helpful information, she said.

“Factors that students with disabilities identified as making a difference in their academic success are faculty who are knowledgeable about disabilities, legal mandates and the disabilities support services on campus,” Vogel said. “In addition, having policies and procedures that address specific issues surrounding disabilities can smooth the way for students with disabilities. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, is faculty, administrators and staff who have a positive attitude toward providing accommodations.”

Vogel hopes the Enhancing Success project will help to break down barriers for disabled students.